Solidarity Drop In Stockport


about us

We are a team of volunteers which works collectively to offer support with :

* completion of applications and assessment questionnaire forms for Personal Independence Payment

* completion of assessment questionnaire forms for Work Capability Assessments (for Employment and Support Allowance or Universal Credit claims) 

* we offer information on challenging social security benefit sanctions

* we can also help with referrals to the appropriate service in cases where advice, or representation in appeals is required

If you would like a PDF copy of the poster on our home page please click here 

just drop-in


Normally, we operate on a 'drop-in' basis. No appointment is required. However, please bear in mind, if your requirement is for support in completing PIP or WCA assessment forms, it can take up to two hours to do this. It is advisable therefore to arrive no later than 2 p.m. if you want to complete the form at a single visit. There may be occasions, when our team of volunteers are all busy working with callers, when you may be asked to choose whether to wait until one of us is free, or to come back at a later time.

Because of the nature of the work we do, the strictest Covid safety is paramount. At the present time we are unable to safely return to operating the drop-in service. We can offer a very limited pre-booked appointment service. This is available in the form of in person appointments, on Mondays, in the very good Covid safe facilities at Disability Stockport, or where suitable, telephone based support. 


To request an appointment, please either message us from the form on our Contact page, or phone 0161 480 7248 (Mondays only), or 0781 726 8571 on other days.


If you require an appointments based service, there are four other services within Stockport which offer similar services and these all operate on an appointments basis. These are :

Citizen's Advice - Please view the Citizens Advice Stockport website here  or telephone 0300 330 9073, or view the online guidance on completion of the PIP assessment form here or, on completion of the Work Capability assessment form (ESA50 or UC50) here

Stockport Council Direct Local Centres - call in at any of the local centres to make an appointment for support with completion of forms. Or phone 0161 217 6003. Or email [email protected] Opening times and location details are on the Council's website here  

If you need to find out what benefits you might be entitled to or need help to complete a claim form and you are unable to leave your home, for example because you are disabled or have caring responsibilities, the Council's Information, Advice and Guidance service can arrange to do a home visit. Requests for home visits can be made online here  

If you are under the Community Mental Health Service or a Consultant Psychiatrist - the Council's Welfare Rights Service has two dedicated Mental Health Specialist Welfare Rights Officers. If someone is under a CMH Team or a Consultant Psychiatrist, they need to ring the Mental Health Resource Centre for their sector (i.e. either Councillor Lane, Cheadle 0161 716 4100 or Baker Street, Heaton Norris 0161 716 4200) and ask for an appointment with Welfare Rights.

If you are a Stockport Homes tenant - the Money Advice team assists with everything from initial eligibility assessments for benefits, through application and completion of medical questionnaires, and where necessary, challenging sanctions, Mandatory Reconsiderations and appeals at First Tier Tribunal. The Money Advice team cannot, however, accompany to medical assessments. Telephone appointments, office appointments and, where appropriate, home visits may be arranged. Tenants can refer/be referred by emailing with their name, address, contact no. and details of what they would like help with at [email protected] or by completing the self-referral form on the website: or by telephoning 0161 217 6016. A Money Advisor will normally attempt first contact within 48 hours of a referral being received.

Greater Manchester Law Centre - Please view the GM Law Centre's website here  or telephone 0161 769 2244, or email [email protected] to make an appointment.

want to join us?

Anyone who is interested in volunteering  with Solidarity Drop-In is very welcome to drop in and chat to our team. Training is available to learn the role.

how to find us

We are part of the Stockport Wellbeing Centre, which is located in Disability Stockport's building at 23, High Street, Stockport, SK1 1EGIf you would like to see us please call at the reception desk and let them know that you have called to visit the Solidarity Drop-in; one of us will then meet with you.  You will be made most welcome.  The offices are fully accessible.

23 High Street, Stockport SK1 1EG